Sunday 3 February 2008

What is Christianity?

I have been thinking about what makes a Christian. There are all sorts of things that one might say - a loving person. Someone who works for others. Someone who goes to church. Someone who forgives. Someone who loves their neighbour as themselves.
There is one type of person who is NOT a Christian - someone who says that unless you do as I say you are dammed. A tiny child is drowned. The parents are not married. The child's spirit belongs to him. The "crime", as seen by the priest, of the parents is their "crime" and nothing to do with the child. But, because the parents are not married, the priest refuses Christian burial to the child. In order to obtain that burial, they have to marry. THAT IS NOT CHRISTIAN.
Jesus said "let the little children come unto me" and other things about children that made it clear that they were beloved by him above all.
Then there is the saying the sins of the fathers will be visited on the children to the third and fourth generation. As I see it this is talking about something quite other than an immediate 'sin' like bearing a child out of wedlock. It has to do with inheritance and things like sexual illnesses.
One thing that does not make a Christian, is to do something that is not Christian in the name of Christ, like the priest who would not bury the baby.
I pray that I may do Christian things. I would like to bring the comfort and light of Christianity to others, but fear that it is beyond me. However, if I can make someone stop and think, then I have achieved something. God bless anyone who reads this blog.

6 comments:

Peterwf said...

Well done.
Too much space is given to the judgmental ones.

Peterwf said...

I have been thinking since my previous comment and I am reminded of the lady who only had to reach out and touch the hem of Jesus's garment. She did not have to do anything else, no understanding of theology, no proof of worth, no rituals, nothing.
She only had to reach out and touch the merest edge of Jesus's garment.
A lesson to us all.

Cait O'Connor said...

Would that more were like you Withy.

Zoƫ said...

God bless you too Withy xx

Faith said...

Oh Withy, I totally agree with you. You are a special lady. Thanks for the blessing, which is of course returned to you.

Elizabethd said...

Withy, I've only just found this.
To me, a Christian is one who has accepted Christ as his Saviour. We all know that we have things in us that need changing, that are not good, but only by believing in Him can we change.