Saturday 19 January 2008

Garden ramblings

I have been looking out of the bedroom window and thinking how colourful a winter garden can be. The picture on the left is not good at all. There is much more colour than shows in it. In the far bed, there is a silver rubus and a deep purple cornus as well as the other things. Also there are some gold box plants mixed with green at the far end. The picture on the right is better and shows some of the greens and browns and the gold in the front. The third picture is the other side ot the "drive" and shows colour more too.
Pictures apart - there are a wide range of greens from dark to yellowy light. The browns go from deep brown to beige. And then there are golds too. And greys as well. As yet there are virtually no flowers. The snow drops are showing a little white, still well protected by the leaves. there is a Mahonia which is nearly over. Elsewhere in the garden there is Viburnum bodnantense. Last year at this time there were a great many plants still in bloom. The frosty, snowy spell we had before Christmas put paid to them all this year.



G gave me a new bird table for Christmas - a gazebo. Thought I would show it to you tonight. It also shows colours behind it, so is not out of context.

Today, I got out in the garden again. I cut all the old leaves off the Helibores and tidied up the area, removing a good deal of moss at the same time. Two barrow loads went to the bonfire heap.

I think that is it for tonight. The article on Winter gardens in the Telegraph Magazine set me off on this line, though I had been enjoying the colours for some time.

6 comments:

Wooly Works said...

How I would love a winter garden like yours!! Even the picture you thought wasn't at all good looks like heaven to me. We're all brown and dead here, frozen beyond belief with no hope of green until late March or April. Thanks for sharing a little hope for the future for me today.

Frances said...

Your winter garden photos, and what you write about the subtle colors of winter, are just my cup of tea. I really do like soft gradations, just hit with a spot of accent.

Corot is a painter who did that very well, but really withy, I quite like every one of your photos.

Right now I am searching my memory for mahonia. I know that I have seen them, and also love the name.
Must do some research.

Thank you for taking me out of doors in January to a beautiful garden.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Your garden looks lovely and I really like your new bird table. Hope you get lots of birds.

. said...

Your garden looks wonderful, and so tidy - it puts mine to shame! Hope the birds like their new table.

bradan said...

Your garden loks lovely Withy, wish mine was like that and what a brilliant bird table.

Zoƫ said...

When I went walking at the Hillier Garden last weekend I was amazed by the vibrancy of some of the bark colours and also the frangrance. I'll try and write it up this week so you can do a virtual visit.

I'd love the space you have for gardening though, its wonderful