Friday 18 January 2008

Just rambling

I am still cross about the conversation with my butcher and the fact that no-one was prepared to pay the extra for free range eggs. Trying to decide where I can access them without being too inconvenient.

Yesterday morning, when I got up, I found that there was only warm water available. The main supply is heated by an immersion heater on a timer plus whatever the AGA can contribute. It is a very old stove and also is too far away from the tank to do it properly. In the second bathroom, the basin is off the main hot water supply while there is another heater for the bath, which means that we can have a hot bath, using that one, but nowhere else can we get hot water. So it is kettles in the kitchen, or cold water. The three wash basins are cold, unless we run the water for quite a time, when we access the nearly hot stuff. So far this has not been much of a hardship but we have rather a long time looming. The electrician came this morning and checked it all and found it was the heater (new 4 years ago) that had failed, not the time clock or switch as we had hoped. The builder/plumber cannot get here till "sometime next week". He is a super chap but thoroughly over worked. I know he will get here as soon as he can. Compared to the water problems that Westerwitch has been having, ours are trivial - at least we have plenty of water - so really shouldn't grumble.

This morning, my eldest brother, who lives 1hr 10mins away, arrived to leave his car, while he and my sil go to India. I took them to the Airport, which was good for them and suited me as I was due an injection for Hepatitis B at a convenient time after they needed to get there. Their going to India is a great co-incidence because they come back from there on the same day as we go! The difference is that they are flying with Emerites, which means that they can fly straight out of Newcastle. Just as well, after the miracle crash which has meant flights from here to Heathrow have been cancelled! We have to go down to HR which is OK on the way out but on the way back, we get in too late to risk catching the last plane, so we have to stay in a hotel for the night. Also, we are going to Rajesthan, (Delhi, Udaipur, Jodphur, Jaipur and Agra). They are going further south.

Despite the fact that it has rained most of today and yesterday, it has not been heavy and although the ground is sodden, there is no danger of floods locally as far as I know. We are very lucky in the North East because we are in the rain-shaddow of the Pennines, at least up here. York and that part of Yorkshire are not so lucky, though OK at the moment, I think. I'm very sorry for all those in the south, south-west and west who are at risk or even flooded, and especially any Purple Cooers who are affected.

Well I said it was rambling and so it is. Just writing for my own benefit really. Good typing practice!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ramble it was too, Withy.

I have absolutely tons of free range eggs that I can't sell because these days they have to be stamped by British Standards and we would have to buy a licence also. If you are coming up here (and you are more than welcome) I shall send you away with as many as you want!

Crystal xx

Elizabethd said...

When are you off to foreign parts? We flew with Emirates and found them to be very good indeed.

Withy Brook said...

I'd love some of your eggs CJ, but you sren't exactly next door!
We go in February. Emiriates seem to be exelent but we have to go Virgin with this group.