Saturday 7 June 2008

Good-bye to a 94-year-old and Memories

Today I went to another funeral. It was not a sad one, though obviously the family were sad to lose their mother/grandmother/great-grandmother. She was 94 and had left 24 great-grandchildren, so will live for ever through them and others still to be born.
For me:
It was the first event that I had been at that I would have attended if Ian had been still alive. We lived opposite the family for 6 years, before going to Singapore, and her husband had given I a job when we came back. He was a good friend and we knew most of the family (children). The only one we didn't know, I met later. The mother was a lovely laid-back person who was always there for everyone - even if the dogs always came first when it came to who got the steak and who got the runny mince! Not your sort of person, Milla!
Today was full of memories. Two particular ones come to mind -
One day I looked across to their house from our garden. A small child was on the OUTSIDE of a 3rd floor window. What do you do? If you shout will he let go? If you run across and try to find someone how long will it take. I ran inside and rang them up. Mum (daughter of today's deceased) answered the phone. She said today that she started to yell at once and had to run up 3 flights of stairs! By the time she got up to the top, the young fellow had come back in. Did I save his life? I shall never know.
The other memory was one that was forgotten by the second daughter. During one year that we lived across the road, she had a growing bulge in her middle, which she called M... (female name) When the great day came and she gave birth, a pink towel was hung from a window so's we would know what had happened (that bit I'd forgotten) The little girl was christened M... I reminded both Mum and the now 40ish child about that!
There was another side to the happy memories today. We had lived in a large Old House with a big walled garden. Last time I was there, the far end of the garden had a house on it. Today, it was unrecognisable from the lane. The h0use has been divided into two, with two drives with electronic gates. The garden is covered with houses. I got a glimpse of the old house. The roof was of old tiles. A local builder had said to us that it should have been re-roofed in the 1920's but he thought it would do plenty of years yet - that was in 1963. Now it is covered in nasty light red tiles instead of the lovely weathered old ones! I suppose that when I read that date - 1963 - I have to accept that things are bound to have changed somewhat!

2 comments:

Blossomcottage said...

This blog is what is so lovely about blogging, writing down all those things hidden in our memory that we would probably not tell anyone otherwise, great blog and lovely snipets of you life.
Blossom

Cait O'Connor said...

Lovely blogs, lovely memories. Great things to think of at a funeral.
Thanks for sharing with us.