Thursday 13 September 2007

Thursday 13th Sept.

Seem to have done little except weed for the last few days! But there are one or two things.

As stated in the Common Room, we had the presentations for Northumbria in Bloom on Monday morning. There was a huge turn-out, which is a visible result of the benefit of having certificates for everyone who takes part. I am beginning to know some of the people on the other side of the fence, as well as the judges, so I enjoyed the social side of the morning as well.

On Tuesday afternoon I returned to School. It is all a little different, as last year's Reception is this year's Year 1 and there are 18 of them and about the same number of Year 2's and they are taught together in one room. It is very noisy and very crowded. It is a Victorian School slightly adapted so the main room is large. I know the numbers don't sound much individually, but they are large for this little school and of course added together they are well over the maximum 30. I think that most of the time there are 2 people working with them, so that these very small/young people are being taught separately. The lovely teaching assistant was working with them on Tuesday, but as she was ill at the end of last term and now is over busy, there are a lot of ordinary jobs like filing etc that she has not managed to do. Consequently, she was delighted to see me, who is happy, whatever I am asked to do!

I was tired when I got home so I decided that I did not need to know about the use of red in art!! This was the subject of the NADFAS lecture that night.

This afternoon, I went to Wallington to see the exhibition about the wedding of Mary Bell and Charles Trevelyan at the beginning of the 20th century. It was based on the day before the wedding, so lots of flowers, the wedding dress, (and that of Mary's mother from the 19th century) the wedding invitation, and lots of info on weddings - the origin of the Best Man, the garter, throwing the bouquet and garter etc etc. I love Wallington and mostly look at all the same things each time I go, so it was nice to have new things to see.

Otherwise, boring old routine and weeding. G cut the lawns today and they look extraordinarily good - though none of those lovely stripes that I like to see! Not sure why.

So that's that until I do something else that I want to record. Goodnight for now.

3 comments:

Norma Murray said...

Sounds like a good day to me. Could you pop round and do a bit of weeding for me? I've let things get a bit out of hand.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Oh I bet they are so glad to see you at school. Working with children I found rewarding but utterly exhausting . . . so all respect to you.

I have put up the forum you asked for.

Posie said...

Oh I could do with a hand with the weeding up here too....feel everything is getting a bit ordinary and routine up here too now the schools are back.